Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Surrounded

I don't know how many of you have realized this; but you guys are in the minority. No, I'm not talking about close family and friends, specifically. I'm referring to people who dream of better tomorrows, those who are looking to grow and constantly better themselves. That's you.

The funny thing is that you're different than the majority of the people in the country at this point. The fact that you're reading this to begin with shows that you actually care. That's why it is vitally important that you pay special attention to those you allow in to your inner circle. These are the people that you hang with, allow influence from, and go to for advice.

Think about the people that you hang with on a regular basis. It's important to note here that you are the average of the five people that you spend the most time with. For me, since one of those five people is my wife, I feel like I'm in pretty good shape. Maybe it's the same way for you. If that's the case, we'll get to you in a minute.

Something that has always baffled me is the fact that there are young (and old) people with so much potential who spend the majority of their time with negative, rude, self-absorbed individuals. For example, I can't even count the times I've seen the sweetest girl end up with the worst possible guy. If you have goals to reach, if you're positive and ambitious, if you sincerely believe that you're on the road to success and that your best days are ahead of you, those kinds of people should not be the ones influencing you at all.

I'm not saying that you should just kick them to the curb. You have the power to be a positive influence on them. But the best way that you can start doing that is by stopping hanging out with them. See, it is much easier for you to be pulled down to their level than for you to pull them up to your's. The reason? That is a decision that each individual has to make for himself or herself. You cannot make that decision for them.

That being said, my challenge to you is to surround yourself with people who give a rip. Be with people who challenge you and make you better. During one particular stage of life, I made a 10-hour round trip drive in one day for supper with a group of my friends. These were people whose opinions I valued. They were the types of friends who asked tough questions, engaged in meaningful discussion, and presented thought-provoking views. Looking back on that trip now, I find myself asking if I would make the trip again for that group. Absolutely.

Pick your friends wisely. They will be some of your most powerful influences. Make sure that their views and goals are in alignment with yours so that you know which direction (up or down) they are pulling you.

If you already have a crew like that, make sure that you bless them and show appreciation on a regular basis. Friends like that really don't come every day. They should be cherished. Express gratitude often. John Calvin once said this:

"We are naturally lazy in the duties of love." - John Calvin

That's why it is so very important for you to cherish those around you. The ability to select your influences is an awesome blessing that we have been given by God. Make sure that yours are those that sharpen you and don't dull you.

"As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

Stay classy,

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment