Monday, February 4, 2013

Core Value vs. Priority

Today I went through a training with my company that focused on my specific professional area. I can honestly say that it was one of the greatest professional training sessions I have ever had. Most of the time, during corporate training, employees bring things to work on, relax and kill some hours, or just sit there bored. I can't speak for my co-workers, but I genuinely enjoyed it because of the underlying premise and purpose of the training.

The central idea was one of a plate. The trainer used the analogy of a plate to explain the difference between a core value and a priority. He explained that we all prioritize every day. This was a bit obvious to me so, at this point, I was still waiting for it to get good. He continued with the observation that our priorities are constantly changing. It is incredibly easy for a priority to be pushed off of the plate.

Make it as simple as Thanksgiving dinner. I tend to decide what I want before I ever fix my plate because, for some reason, people think that it is acceptable to put the food out a half-hour before anyone is allowed to eat. Bitterness aside, I look at the food and decide how much room I have in my stomach and on my plate. Something at the beginning of the line may look really appetizing. But in order to have room on my plate, I have to prioritize and leave it off in order to have room for the sweet potatoes down the line.

We do the same things in our professional lives. Anyone who gets any kind of fulfillment in work does not do the same tasks every day. The dynamic atmosphere of my position is why I enjoy it so much. I set out to accomplish different tasks on different days depending on urgency, timeliness, and my schedule.

The trainer did an excellent job of displaying the difference in a priority and a core value. Priorities can fall or be pushed off of the plate, a core value is the plate itself. Core values are what you cling to when things are not going your way. They are such an inherent part of how you live that they cannot simply be pushed aside because something else was more important.

Take family as an example. When family is a core value, it is not compromised. A man who keeps family as a core value is one who does not let work, hobbies, or anything else get in the way of spending time with those he cherishes most. Don't get me wrong, family is a priority on many plates. But when the rubber meets the road, it is often pushed off the plate by "bigger" priorities. Please don't read this as a slap in the face if you are someone whose job takes you away from your family. This is merely an example to point out the distinction of a core value.

My challenge in my personal, family, and professional life is to have those core values. My company tends to create good, professional guidelines for the culture that it hopes to create. My family and personal core values are up to me. I get a good amount of help with family because I have another person's core values and priorities to consider: my wife. She is the most wonderful thing in the world to me and I am very blessed that family is a core value of her's. Have things that you don't compromise on. An unwavering faith will move mountains in your spiritual life. Sticking to a good, clean diet will make you into a healthier individual. Committing to laughter and fun will make you a more pleasant individual to whom others are drawn. Have principles. Without them, you will fall for whatever comes your way. If you don't have a plate, you can't enjoy any of the food. It's bad manners to take it straight from the serving dish. Until next time, stay classy.

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment