Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wasted Movement

The boys basketball team that I coach had practice the other night. I had them doing some one-on-one drills and one of my players was determined to show me how well he could dribble the basketball. The player guarding him and I both watched for a minute as he stood and dribbled the ball between his legs, behind his back, and with his eyes closed. After he finished, the young man guarding him simply stole the ball. And thus, we explored a very important lesson in the game of basketball and in life. No matter how fancy movement looks, if it does not take you anywhere, it is pointless.

Think about this concept from a daily work perspective. When I first went to work at my current job, it took me a while to figure out the daily priorities and responsibilities that came with the territory. The employee training me simply told me that they changed from day-to-day. For a normally goal-oriented person like me, this answer was unsatisfactory.

I tried that approach for a few days. It worked just fine as long as there was not much going on. But it was not long before I spent almost two full days answering my email and talking on the phone. My boss came by and asked me how my work was going and I realized something. I had worked hard for two days and had nothing to show for them except an organized inbox and no messages on my phone. So I began to do some productivity research.

As I mentioned previously, I have always been a goal-oriented individual. I consistently perform my best when I have something to reach towards. In fact, I would contend that everyone is goal-oriented to some extent. People are motivated to different extents by different goals (some positive and some negative) but everyone is goal-driven on some level.

I began by looking at my specific job and what exactly I had began working there to do. That help me prioritize my time. That responsibility turned itself into daily goals and what I feel is a nicely organized to-do list. Come to my office, and I can take you back several months and show you what I did each day of each month and how I added value to my company. Now my movement is forward instead of wasted motion.

It is very easy to think that any movement is better than no movement. I would agree...barely. Without a clear direction, results do not happen. I am sure it would be fun to take 22 guys and a leather ball and give them permission to hit each other. It sounds like a caveman's game, if you ask me. The game becomes much more interesting when you add parameters in which to operate and goals towards which to go. I realize that some of you would still contend that football is a caveman's game but you get the point. Wasted movement is almost as bad as no movement at all. This is where goal-setting and enthusiasm go hand-in-hand.

Unfortunately, in our society today, people scoff at enthusiasm. The new guy who comes in to the office excited about what he is doing is laughed at because everyone knows real life doesn't work that way. My mom received a fortune cookie once that said, "If you catch on fire with enthusiasm, people will come from miles around to watch you burn."

This fortune was sad, but true. But when you have daily goals to accomplish and you know the direction that you will be moving in is actually helpful to your company, it makes work that much easier. When you have a goal to run towards, sports are much more interesting. Seriously, what good is a race without a finish line? I would encourage you to find daily goals to accomplish and have fun crossing them off of your list. Plan your day by the clock and, for that matter, have a plan in the first place. Your enthusiasm will have a great channel through which to flow and you will be a greater professional as a result. Until next time, stay classy.

-Andrew

1 comment: