Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Untapped Potential (Part 1): An Introduction

"It is not what you have, but what you use that makes the difference." - Zig Ziglar

When I first told my wife that I was planning to write on untapped potential, she laughed and pointed out that it was one of my biggest pet peeves. I realize that I sound much older when I complain about wasted potential, but my wife also says that my love for oatmeal and Sudoku do that just the same. But this post is not going to be complaints from me because another of my pet peeves is when people use the internet for that and force others to share in their misfortune. No, this post is primarily focused on the potential in you and how to release it.

If you're reading this and are a bit more well advanced in years, don't write me off just yet. The idea here is that everyone has untapped potential inside of them. Many people have made a very successful life by tapping in to their potential, but have now become satisfied and do not want to move forward. Others are constantly searching and looking for what is next for their personal growth. If that is you, welcome, and thank you for reading. Still others have little ambition and don't feel the need to move forward at all. That's perfectly fine. Just keep reading and we will see if we can't change that. First and foremost, I believe we need to establish that you do, indeed, have potential in the first place.

Think about the example of a light switch. When someone walks into a room and flips on the light, we rarely give the action a second thought. But the process of electricity is really neat when you think about it. The actual brightness of the light is not stored anywhere. But the ability to release the brightness is stored in the switch and in connecting the circuit. Without the flipping of the switch, there is no light.

In the same way, you may not feel very important, useful, or like you matter at all to the world. I cannot stress enough that this does not mean that you have no potential or hope for the future. What it means is that you have not yet actually released your potential. In a later post, we will be exploring how to release your potential. 

"I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well." - Psalm 139:14

This will be our springboard as we launch further in to this discussion. Until you have internalized these words and can look yourself in the mirror and say them while looking yourself in the eye, this series will not be of any use to you. You absolutely must know that God loves you, and you should love you just the same. We will get more in to this aspect of potential in our next post.

As stated in the title, this is an introduction. I have decided to make this subject in to a series because it is simply too important to let you get lost in a post that is too lengthy. Instead, this will be broken up in to several segments that pertain to greatness, success, and how to reach your potential. I am looking forward to this process and discussion and I am grateful that you will be joining me. Let's learn something and reach our potential together. Until next time, stay classy.

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment