Thursday, January 31, 2013

Dance the Night Away

When I walked through the door this evening, my wife had not been home from the store for very long. She excitedly informed me that she had planned a date and we had to clean up beforehand. Looking back on it now...I feel gotten. Anyway, she had rented a video game from redbox (all of the sudden, the cleaning doesn't sound so devious after all). The name of the game she had rented was, "Just Dance 4."

For those of you who don't know, just dance is about popular songs that an animated character on the screen dances along with. The game console uses cameras and sensors to "watch" you dance a long and mimic the screen character's moves. You are then scored based off of how well you do. I know it sounds like cruel and unusual punishment, but playing with more than one person (or a room full) can get quite entertaining. It did not take long for me to remember why I love dancing.

While I typically classify myself as an extrovert, I am not someone who will jump into the middle of a dance circle. I do enjoy dancing for the fun and making people smile. When I was dancing this evening, I was reminded of several other reasons and benefits to busting a move.

1. God enjoys dance.

Ecclesiastes 3 lists numerous activities that there are "times" for. For example, there is a time to be born, a time to die, and a time to hug. It would behoove you to read the chapter for yourself. But take my word for it, the passage says that there is a time to dance. I personally feel like that time (along with singing) comes much more often than any of the others. It has always interested me at just how uncomfortable many evangelical churches are with the thought that dancing can be God-honoring. I firmly believe that using dancing and singing are two of the greatest forms of worship because you are using the tools that God directly and naturally gave to you. Not to mention, God explicitly tells us in Psalms to praise him with the dance.

2. Masculinity   

Some of you just laughed. I know because I heard it through your screen. Hear me out. While dancing has probably never been seen as something especially manly, every self-respecting gentleman should be able to lead his lady around a dance floor. There is nothing quite as distinguished as a black tie formal where ballroom dancing is involved. Dancing with my wife is one of my favorite things to do in the world. Just make sure you take some advise from Captain America and wait until you find the right partner. Dancing with the right person can be one of the most wonderful things in the world.

3. Stress Relief

Exercise and movement are a couple of the greatest stress relievers known to man. That's why you stand up to loosen up. Working up a good sweat while dancing helps your balance, posture, and control over both your body and your emotions. If you literally cannot dance at all, wait until you're around people to try. A good laugh is the best stress reliever ever. 

On a serious note, dancing is a wonderful tool for enjoyment. I personally am quite thankful that my wife came home with Just Dance 4. I've had a blast! It seems like it is so easy to simply get lost in the activity as opposed to  being worried about those around you. I encourage you to learn to dance and use the rhythm for your enjoyment. Have fun with it and make sure  that you pick a good partner. You will not regret knowing how, trust me. Until next time, stay classy.

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment