Friday, March 29, 2013

Much Given - Much Required

"With great power comes great responsibility." - Spiderman

Courtesy of Marvel Comics, that is one of my favorite superhero quotes. It verbalizes a principle that allows the cream of the crop to rise. This principle is what separates those who go after what they want in life, and those who just meander along while going through the same old routine. Which one are you?

I read a quote today from Jonas Salk that spoke volumes to me. He said, "The reward for work well done is the opportunity to do more." At first glance, my thought was, "Well, that's no fun." My brain went to all of those over-achievers I knew in college. You know...the ones who always ended up doing more work than everyone else and (occasionally) coming out with the same average grade as everyone else.

But my second thought was a bit more serious. I began to think of the "reward" of more work. I thought of my dad as a man who always taught me to give my very best and to set my mind to the task at hand. I thought of my wife and her expectation of quality and drive for excellence. All of the sudden, more work did not seem all that bad.

Humans were made for work. The reason for hobbies is because we are infinitely more valuable to society and those in our immediate circles when we spend our time doing fun work. Our minds stay sharp and our tasks stay focused. Hobbies make us into better people, teach us new skills, and enable us to enjoy life apart from our jobs. The principle of doing well at what you do and being entrusted with more is fantastic. Why? It gives people the chance to do what they were created to do.

Abraham Lincoln, a man whom I have come to admire through study of his life and decisions, once said this:

"Whatever you are, be a good one."

Commitment to quality in your work is invaluable to an employer, your inner circle, and your family. Will you be entrusted with more? Absolutely. Are you the person I want to be entrusted with tasks? Yes. Of how much more worth are you when you can be trusted to do a good job? You enjoy the work given you because it is a picture of your character and commitment to do things right. Bear in mind, this is not just me blowing smoke. This principle is one that Jesus expressed multiple times. A favorite that comes to mind is in Luke 12:47:

"And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating."

Work hard at what you're trusted to do and you will show forth your Creator more than anything else. That is of more value than any professional could ever be on his or her own. Keep this principle in mind and it will take you far in life. Guaranteed. Until next time, stay classy.

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment